Working an office job is no excuse to let your health slide.
When you’re devoted to staying fit and living a healthy lifestyle, being stuck in an office all day can be extremely frustrating. It can seem impossible to make any improvements to your health.
The bad news is, you’re right. It’s hard to gain any muscle or burn off fat when your job requires you to be sedentary most of the day. It’s even harder to muster up the energy and motivation to go to the gym after a long day at the office. But there’s good news, too; with some simple tweaks to your lifestyle and working habits, it is possible to stay fit at work.
We’ve all heard the standard advice – take the stairs, don’t drink soda, etc. – but when you’re serious about staying healthy in the workplace, it goes way beyond that. Use our office fitness hacks to stay fit at work.
How To Stay Fit at Work:
Living a “healthy lifestyle” can be broken down into two main components: diet and exercise.
- Produce Front and Center: Keep healthy snacks visible on your desk, so that when a snack craving hits, those crisp carrot sticks or juicy pear is the first thing you see – and the first thing you eat. This works for Tina Haupert of Health Magazine, who brings five pieces of fresh fruit to work every Monday. She says, “I also hated to see fresh food go to waste, so I never let a day go by without eating a piece. [It] helped keep my hunger steady, so I didn’t overeat later in the day.”
- Hydration Nation: Drink a lot of water. I know you’ve heard it before, but this really is one of the best tips for staying healthy at work. Drinking water will keep your mind off of soda and too much coffee and can help stave off other cravings as well. Dehydration can also lead to fatigue, which in turn leads to reaching for a sugary snack to stay awake. We know water can be boring, so add lemon, cucumber, mint leaves, or some frozen berries to your water bottle.
- Stock Up: The break room can be a treacherous place, full of donuts, sugary coffee creamers, and birthday cake (it seems like it’s always someone’s birthday). If you’re trying to lose weight at work, avoiding those temptations is key. So fight back with your own snacks – fresh fruit, baby carrots and hummus, cucumber slices, nuts, yogurt (beware of added sugars!) and other tasty picks. We all snack–and that’s fine!–just snack smart.
- Bring Back the Buddy System: Remember when you were a kid and got assigned a “buddy” during field trips? You sat together at lunch and held hands crossing the street. Well, using the buddy system as an adult works wonders as well. Stay fit at work by enlisting a friend with similar goals, so you can workout and eat healthy lunches together. Having a “wellness buddy” also adds some accountability to your fitness journey.
- Fidget: You were probably told to “sit still” a million times when you were little. Well, we’re here to tell you the exact opposite. Recent research is suggesting that “sitting is the new smoking,” and we all need to be more active! Move around as much as possible during the day. Keep frequently used items, like your printer and your stapler, in opposite corners of the office, so that you have to get up a lot. Get up and go ask a colleague a question in person rather than sending an email, walk up and down the hall while on the phone. Anything you can think of to get up and moving throughout the day is beneficial. (Within reason – I mean, you still need to get your work done.)
- Deskercise: When all else fails, there are many exercises you can do right at your desk. Greatist has put together a master list of 33 exercises that allow you to workout at work. Try a new one (or 2 or 3) each day!
When you put your mind to it, and get a little creative, there are so many ways you can stay fit at work. Did we miss any of your favorite tips on staying healthy in the workplace? Let us know in the comments!
For more ideas or to develop a customized wellness plan for your office, contact Wellworks For You today!
(P.S. One last tip: Don’t eat out – a packed lunch is usually much healthier! Check out our Recipe eBook for inspiration (and a printable food journal)!