Five Important Facts You Should Know About Summer Health and Safety*
Summer: it’s a time to relax, go on a vacation and enjoy the splendor of the outdoors. It’s also a good time to brush up on summer health and safety tips. While pool parties, boating excursions and hiking adventures entice a spirit of playfulness and fun, they can present dangers that even the savviest adults can overlook. To help keep employees out of harm’s way this summer, equip them with a few, simple summer safety hints.
Five Summer Health and Safety Tips for Success
To maximize health and safety this summer, Wellworks For You is here to help employers empower employees with summer safety tips. To eliminate concerns, all it takes is a little education, a lot of water, and protection from pests, rogue automobiles and the sun.
Here are five summer safety tips for the workplace (and beyond):
- Sunscreen and Seek Sun Safely - One of the best things you can do to ensure your skin health and safety this summer is to sunscreen up. According to the American Academy of Dermatology Association, 9,500 people receive a skin cancer diagnosis annually. To keep your skin protected, always apply a sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30. Whenever possible, wear a hat and seek refuge in the shade. Capturing a little Vitamin D via the sun is okay, but keep exposed skin to a minimum.
- Splash Safety for Everyone - Many times as adults, we’re cautioned about the dangers of children around water. While it’s vital to ensure a pool is protected with a four-foot fence to keep little ones safe, there are other factors to consider surrounding water safety. If you’re an adult, make sure that when swimming this summer, you do so in a pool or hot tub with appropriate amounts of chemicals to avoid skin problems or other possible more serious conditions.
- Bug Protection Basics - Sadly, the summer is a favorite season for bugs. Mosquitos, a notorious nuisance to outdoor summer events, carry a number of pesky illnesses and diseases. To protect yourself, use a bug repellent to keep mosquitos and other cumbersome critters at bay.
- Fitness Precautions to Pay Attention to - It’s admirable to stay healthy during the summer when travel, changing schedules and heat can deter individuals from remaining on track. To ensure your health and safety, it’s important to remain hydrated, wear protective gear—helmets, sun coverings, reflective gear—and be aware of your surroundings, especially in congested areas.
- Hydrate, Even When It’s Late - Water in the morning, water in the evening, water at suppertime! No matter whether it’s sunny, overcast or late at night, higher summertime temps warrant more hydration. Experts recommend consuming a minimum of two to four liters of water (preferably more) per day to prevent dehydration.
More Health and Wellness Tips
If you’ve enjoyed these summer health and safety tips and would like recommendations for maximizing wellness during every season, Wellworks For You has exactly what you’re looking for. As leaders in comprehensive workplace wellness programs, we promote health, safety and overall suggestions on optimizing wellness for employees in and out of the office.
To get started, simply call us at 800-425-4657.
Book A Demo
To book a Wellworks for You demonstration, please fully fill out this form and one of our trusty team members will be in contact with you shortly. We can’t wait to meet you!