The Best Ways to Keep Up With Your Fitness at Work
Some people have jobs that keep them active all day, but for most of us, “going to work” no longer means a day of manual labor. More and more people are now sitting at a desk for eight hours a day, and studies have shown that a sedentary lifestyle is devastating to your health. But what are you supposed to do? It’s your job to sit there… but that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your health!
By incorporating fitness at work into your daily routine, you can stay in shape and do your job at the same time. We’ve put together a list of exercises you can do at work that go beyond the boring old “take the stairs” adage.
Quick and Easy Ideas For Fitness at Work
- Abs Squeeze: This can be done literally anywhere – sitting in a meeting, walking down the hall – anywhere. Take a deep breath and tighten your abs, exhale and squeeze them towards your spine. Hold for 5-10 seconds, and repeat 15 times.
- Swivel Chair Oblique Blaster: Sit with your feet hovering in the air, and lightly hold the edge of your desk with your fingertips. Then use your core muscles to twist your chair back and forth 15 times.
- Seated Push-Up: Another great exercise at your desk. Sit cross-legged in your chair, place your hands on the armrests and push upwards, lifting your body into the air for 10-20 seconds. For a bigger challenge, try this in a swivel chair.
- Firm Handshake: Sitting with your feet flat, clasp your hands as if you’re giving yourself a handshake. Then pull, resisting the motion with both arms. Hold for at least 10 seconds, and repeat.
- Calf Building Copier: Stuck standing at the copier or printer? Stand on your tippy-toes, pause, and slowly lower back down to flat feet. Repeat 12-15 times.
These desk exercises are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to keeping up with your fitness at work. For even more ideas on how to stay fit at work, contact Wellworks For You today!
Fitness At Work | Fitness At Work Ideas