By now a lot of us have fallen off the “New Year’s Resolution” wagon.
If your goal was to start eating healthier and find ways to lose weight, maybe you’re thinking too big. Weight loss is one of those areas where it’s actually better to think small. Following strict diets and spending hours sweating at the gym may sound great – but they’re often unsustainable ways to lose weight, and can backfire in the end. When it comes to permanent weight loss, slow and steady wins the race, and even the smallest weight loss tips can result in big changes.
Our Favorite “Think Small” Ways to Lose Weight:
- Drink Up: Let’s face it – simply drinking more water is one of the best things you can do for your body. When it comes to losing weight, staying hydrated helps on many levels. Not only does it help you feel full, but water helps boost your metabolism. Aim to drink a full glass of water before reaching for a snack; many times when you get that hungry feeling, your body is actually craving water, and you will end up eating less afterwards.
- Pass on the Fad: Restrictive diets may promise fast weight loss (though they rarely work!) but fad diets are unsustainable, and people often simply regain any weight they lost on them. Instead of counting calories and banning ice cream, focus on eating healthier as a whole. Not a diet – a lifestyle. Choose more fruits and vegetables and whole grains, and beware processed foods and added sugars. You’ll not only feel healthier, but the weight you lose will stay off.
- Squad Goals: Make going to the gym a social event. Exercising with a friend or two not only holds you accountable, but it makes it fun! Find a friend to run with, or a group to attend spin class or yoga. You’ll find that, instead of dreading hitting the gym, you’ll look forward to seeing your friends.
- Skip (during) the Commercials: We all love some relaxing TV time before bed, right? Well, one of our favorite sneaky ways to lose weight is working out during the commercial breaks. Anything that gets your heart rate up will work. Simply working out for every two minute commercial break during a two hour TV night results in an extra 270 calories burned each day.
- Brown Bag It: Buying lunch at work costs you thousands of calories and hundreds of dollars each year. Restaurant fare is often laden with salt, sugar and fat – not exactly a great way to lose weight. By packing your own lunch, you control exactly what you’re eating.
These are simply a few of many small ways to boost weight loss – what your own favorite ways to lose weight? Let us know!