It’s one of the most famous adages around, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Benjamin Franklin said it over two hundred years ago, but it remains a popular saying because it’s so true. So why aren’t we taking advantage of the preventive health screenings available to us? According to the CDC, Americans use preventive services at merely half the recommended rate. In fact, 7 out of 10 deaths in the United States are caused by chronic diseases – many of which could be better managed – or prevented altogether – with the proper measures.
What are the Recommended Preventive Health Screenings?
- Regular blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes testing.
- Cancer screenings such as mammograms and colonoscopies.
- Help and support with healthy eating, quitting smoking, and other behavioral changes.
- Keeping current with vaccinations such as measles and tetanus.
What are Preventive Health Screening Benefits?
- Chronic Diseases: Chronic diseases such as heart disease and Type 2 Diabetes are the most common and often most expensive health issues – but they are often highly preventable. Once developed, however, most chronic diseases are controllable, but not curable. By catching potential problems through preventive health care, these diseases are more easily treatable.
- Productivity: Health problems obviously impact work productivity – to a tune of $260 billion of lost economic output each year – a major drain on the economy.
- Health Care Costs: By identifying and addressing potential health issues through preventive health screenings, both employers and employees can reap the benefits of lower health care costs.
- Wake-Up Call: Many people think they have no reason to be concerned about their health until a routine biometric health screening tells them otherwise. These preventive screenings can be the catalyst needed to start eating healthier, quit smoking, or begin an exercise routine.
Here at Wellworks For You, we offer Onsite Preventive Screenings, as well as many other resources to help improve your health. Check out our eBook, “Your Guide to Preventable Chronic Disease” and schedule a preventive health screening today!