We all know that sitting all day is terrible for our health – studies have shown that it’s right up there with smoking and overeating. But when your job requires you to spend eight hours a day seated at a desk, what are you supposed to do? Don’t give up yet. While it may be harder for you to stay healthy while working at a desk job than it is for people with more active professions, it’s not impossible! Check out these tips we’ve compiled and adopt some healthy desk job habits today!
How to Stay Healthy at the Office – Diet:
- Just Say No: We promise, you won’t look rude if you simply say, “No, thank you.” to all those treats that get passed around the office. It seems like every other day there’s an occasion that calls for cake–you don’t have to indulge every time.
- Stay Hydrated: Keep a reusable water bottle on your desk and make an effort to finish it at least once throughout the day. Drinking water not only keeps you feeling fuller, but is also a healthy habit in and of itself. Mix things up by adding lemon or cucumber.
- Toss the Junk: A huge part of staying healthy while working at a desk job is simply smart snacking. If you don’t have any junk food around, you can’t eat it, right? So toss the donuts and snack bars and stock up on nuts and fresh fruit! Try and get your whole office involved and really get rid of temptation!
How to Stay in Shape at a Desk Job – Exercise:
- Power Lunch: If you get a whole hour for your lunch break, split it up. You don’t need a full hour to eat, so use half the time to go for a walk. Invite some of your work friends and turn it into a habit!
- Stealthy Ab Squeeze: One of the most covert ways to exercise at a desk job is a simple ab squeeze. Simply take a deep breath and tighten your core as you exhale. Hold for 5-10 seconds, and do 12 reps.
- Take the Stairs: One of the most commonly advised healthy desk job habits, but let’s take it up a level. Speed walk the corridors, then take the stairs two at a time to really get your heart rate up!
After you master these ways to stay healthy while working at a desk job, check out our Wellness Programs or contact us for more healthy tips!
Related Tags: Stay Healthy While Working At A Desk Job | Staying Healthy While Working At A Desk Job