Try something different to quit smoking.
If you are thinking about quitting or have tried to quit before, then you probably know the standard tips and tricks for how to quit smoking. But the same things don’t always work for everyone, so you may want to try some of these more unusual approaches to fighting withdrawal and maintaining your commitment to not smoking.
How to Quit Smoking: A Different Approach
Don’t let withdrawal symptoms keep you from quitting smoking. Sometimes all it takes is to take a step away from conventional methods. Try these five creative ways to push through, even when you are feeling at your worst.
- Collect Savings: Find a clear glass jar. Each day that you go without smoking, put the cash that you would have spent on cigarettes into the jar. Watch the savings grow and whenever you feel the urge to smoke, look at that jar as a reminder and an incentive to keep going strong!
- Divert Yourself: When the cravings hit you and you feel like you have to smoke, do something enjoyable and distracting. Some good options might include taking a hot shower, going for a run, heading to the gym. Make a list ahead of time of activities to do when you need a distraction.
- Ditch the Coffee: It might be smart to try to ween yourself off caffeine before you try to quit smoking. Too much caffeine can make you jittery and increase your need to smoke. Also, many people smoke during their coffee break, so it can be a big trigger.
- Stock Healthy Snacks: Snacking is a great way to distract yourself from your desire to smoke. But you don’t want something that is going to make you feel gross and unhappy after you eat it, so stock up on healthy snacks: nuts, dried or fresh fruit, and veggies. Keep some on hand at all times so when you feel a craving you can substitute the snack instead.
- Make a Bet: Make a bet with a friend, maybe someone else trying to quit, who you will have to pay up to if you start smoking again. Make the amount large enough that it will adequately deter you from smoking again.
These are some helpful tips to help you quit smoking, but remember that smoking is a real addiction and difficult to fight. Often, people have to try several times before they successfully quit smoking. You may want to consider getting additional support as you go through this process. For more information on smoking cessation, contact Wellworks For You today.