According to a recent report published by NPR, in a survey of 3,000 adults in the U.S., 75% expressed having healthy eating habits, despite a 36% obesity rate in the U.S. A similar study comprised of 4,745 American adults demonstrated that 46.5% were “sufficiently active.”
These figures beg the question: are we as healthy as we could be? Or, can we benefit from healthy lifestyle tips to motivate new behaviors and habits?
Regardless of what Americans think, the statistics illustrate a continued need for increased health and wellness practices. What better way to encourage improved health practices and routines than by implementing them in the workplace?
Healthy Lifestyle Tips to Live By
From our variety of health programs to our media library (available at your fingertips) – Wellworks For Your takes prides in always bringing you the latest in health and wellness. Over the years, we have provided healthy lifestyle tips that you can utilize in your company and bring home at the end of the day. Check out the following 10 tips for healthy living to encourage optimal wellness in the workplace and beyond.
- Exercise Daily – Whether you’re putting in 10 minutes or 10 hours, it’s important to create a habit of exercising to reduce chronic diseases, improve high blood pressure and help keep your body in shape.
- Drink Water – Drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day (without additives or flavorings) will keep toxins moving out of your body and maintain a healthy level of hydration.
- Stop Eating Junk – To deny the urge to splurge is one of the ultimate forms of self-control. Eliminating processed foods and focusing on colorful, natural foods will help you keep your mental and physical stamina.
- Get Your Sleep – Your brain eliminates toxins that gather between the synapses of your neurons while you sleep. Just like you wouldn’t skip a shower, don’t skip your sleep!
- Breathe The Fresh Air – Make sure that you are going outside, even if for 10 to 20 minutes a day to catch some of that natural Vitamin D from the sun. Be sure you are taking the time to breathe. Breathing positively affects your attitude and energy.
- Stop Smoking – Smoking increases your risk of many diseases and conditions – including cancer. Keep the lungs of your co-workers, family and yourself free of tobacco.
- Limit Caffeine – Although it seems like a gift from the heavens, some days, caffeine actually causes dehydration and causes a crash as big (or bigger) than the buzz you received in the first place.
- Stay Positive – Surrounding yourself with negativity can wear down your heart, mind and soul. Be sure that you surround yourself with positive people, music and entertainment. A boost in mood typically results in a boost in productivity.
- Just Say No – We’re not just talking about drugs, we’re talking about life. We all tend to think we can be Superman or Wonder Woman, meeting others’ needs and volunteering for every extracurricular activity under the sun. Overcommitment leads to overcompensation and dwindled resources.
- Prioritize – Organize To-Do’s in order of importance and throw out the things that are burning you out.
- Love Yourself – It’s easy to take care of everybody else before taking care of yourself. By doing this, you’re blindly running yourself into the ground and soon enough you won’t be able to take care of those you love because you’ve neglected your physical, mental and emotional health. Take time out for yourself and just love you.
Looking for more healthy living tips? We have them! For more ways that Wellworks For You can provide healthy lifestyle tips for your corporate wellness program, give us a call today at 800-425-8657 or visit us online.