Researching weight loss can be overwhelming – simply typing the words into Google returns over 231 million results!
So how do you even begin to sort through all of the information and find safe, reliable ways to improve your health and lose weight?
Well, to start with, healthy weight loss plans all have one thing in common – they are a marathon, not a sprint. It’s only natural that we want to lose weight as fast as possible, but any weight loss tips that tout “fast” results are often based on unhealthy practises, and usually don’t live up to their claims.
In fact, the CDC states that people who lose weight steadily and gradually (1-2 pounds per week) are more successful at keeping the weight off. Here are some of our favorite easy weight loss tips.
5 Easy Healthy Weight Loss Tips:
- Drink Up: Water can make you feel full longer, so sip throughout the day to help cut down on snacking. Dehydration can lead to fatigue, so next time you’re about to reach for a candy bar to get over the 3 pm slump – drink some water instead. Mix it up by adding fresh or frozen fruit, lemon slices, or springs of mint to your water bottle. Aim for drinking half of your weight in ounces each day – for example, if you weigh 160 lbs, drink 80 ounces of water.
- Rethink Happy Hour: Instead of heading out for drinks after work, get some friends together for a power walk or yoga class. You can still chat and have quality time with your friends, but instead of loading up on sugary drinks and salty bar food, you’ll be shedding pounds!
- Don’t Go Hungry: While it may seem to go against conventional advice, one of our favorite healthy diet tips is to never go hungry! We make poor choices when we’re hungry, and tend to reach for any food available, instead of holding out for a healthier choice. You’re going to snack – so make sure you’re prepared to snack smart. Keep plenty of fresh fruit, nuts and whole grain crackers on hand.
- Get Cooking! Eating out may be convenient, but restaurant fare is generally loaded with fat and salt. When you cook at home, you can make sure you are using healthy, quality ingredients, control the seasoning, and limit the portion size. Short on time? Take an hour or two on your day off to plan meals, prep veggies, and pre-cook and portion large batches of staples like brown rice or quinoa.
- Get Your Beauty Rest: Looking for some super-easy weight loss? Just get more sleep. In a University of Pennsylvania sleep study, the “sleep deprived” group gained almost three pounds in 11 days. Being well-rested can also help you beat fatigue, and skip reaching for an afternoon pick-me-up sugary snack.
When you focus on living an overall healthy lifestyle, weight loss becomes easier, and lasts longer. While these healthy weight loss plans will get you off to a good start, they are really just the tip of the iceberg. For more safe weight loss tips, give Wellworks For You a call today!