5 Simple Ideas for Having Healthy Lunches at Work
With food bloggers and chefs churning out nutritional and tasty recipes every day, you’re only a click away from simple, easy ideas that are healthy and delicious. We rounded up some helpful tips for getting started and 5 of our favorite recipes for healthy work lunches.
Tips for Starting Out
- A good starting point is to construct your plate with 50% non-starchy vegetables, 25% starchy vegetables and grains, and 25% protein. If 50% of vegetables sounds daunting, incorporate spinach chasers: chase every few bites with a handful of spinach.
- Swap out food you’re already eating for healthier options: White potatoes for sweet potatoes; mayonnaise and sour cream for plain yogurt, hummus, or avocado; white rice for quinoa and brown rice; bread for lettuce leaves; and soda for juice.
- Eliminate unhealthy options from your home and shopping cart.
- In general, use spinach or other nutritious leafy greens (e.g., not iceberg lettuce) as your salad foundation. Check out this chart as a guide to add healthy toppings you enjoy and keep your calorie count from racking up by swapping out creamy dressings for vinaigrettes.
5 Healthy Lunches to Bring to Work
- Quinoa Burrito Bowl
Healthy, non-comatose-inducing burrito bowl, plus avocado lime dressing? Yum! Recipe here.
- Ground Turkey & Cheese Enchiladas
Reportedly “picky eater approved,” this meal showcases the simple swap of ground beef for ground turkey without sacrificing good flavor. Recipe here.
- Mason Jar Salads
These mason jar salads offer a great way to prep ahead of time and vary your salad options for creative, cool healthy work lunches. Recipes here.
- Sausage and Cheese Quiche
Satisfy your protein and cheese cravings with this tasty low calorie sausage and cheese quiche. Recipe here.
- Veggie Sandwich
If you miss the meat, add a slice of turkey to this veggie-packed sandwich. Recipe here.
For more inspiration and information on how to have healthy meals at work, contact us here.
Wellworks For You offers Corporate Lunch & Learns, an integral, educational and an informative platform for any comprehensive wellness program. Wellworks For You Lunch & Learns are on-site 30 to 60 minute workshops that maximize benefit through educational tools and effective interactive discussions.
Healthy Lunches At Work | Healthy Meals Work