Haven’t Quit Yet? Consider These 10 Dangers of Smoking
The dangers of smoking seems to be a never-ending list. Smoking cigarettes negatively affects nearly every aspect of your physical health, from cavities and blindness to diabetes and cancer; but it also reaches into a smoker’s social life and personal relationships as well. While there are a million reasons to quit smoking, we can’t possibly list them all here today: we’ll merely cover the tip of the iceberg.
10 Dangers of Smoking
(In case Lung/Stomach/Esophagus/Bladder/Liver Cancer Isn’t Enough)
- Shorter Life: 1 in 3 cancer deaths is related to smoking, and about half of smokers who don’t quit will die of a smoking related disease. On average, male smokers lose 13.2 years of life, and females 14.5 years, compared to non-smokers.
- You’re Poisoning Non-Smokers Around You: Of all the effects of smoking, the most unfair is the toll it takes on non-smokers. Second-hand smoke kills 50,000 people a year, and sickens many more.
- Infertility: We all know one of the greatest risks of smoking is smoking while pregnant, but did you know the habit can also affect your ability to get pregnant in the first place? Smoking can make it harder for a woman to conceive, but can also affect men’s sperm – reducing fertility and increasing risks of birth defects and miscarriage.
- Litter: A whopping 1.69 billion pounds of cigarette butts wind up as trash each year, making them the number one littered item on earth.
- You’ll Go Broke: It’s expensive to smoke. The average smoker spends over $2,000 a year on cigarettes, not to mention higher health insurance rates and health care costs.
- You Stink: One of the health effects caused by smoking is a poor sense of smell, so you may not even realize you carry the odor of cigarettes with you everywhere you go. But your friends, family and co-workers certainly do. Your hair, clothing, even your fingers, smell terrible.
- You Look Old: Smoking prematurely ages you – leading to wrinkles. It also stains your teeth, fingers and fingernails.
- People Think You’re Gross: Smoking just isn’t socially acceptable anymore. It’s banned in nearly all public places, and some landlords won’t rent to smokers due to higher maintenance and insurance costs.
- You’re Supporting Big Tobacco: When you think of reasons to quit smoking, do you ever consider that you’re literally paying the tobacco industry to poison you?
- You’re Setting a Bad Example: Do you want your son or daughter or niece or nephew to smoke? Well every time they see you light up, you’re teaching them to smoke themselves.
Like we said, this list barely scratches the surface of the dangers of smoking and the reasons you should quit. What reasons would you add? Let us know, and let us help you quit. Give Wellworks For You a call and become a quitter today.
Related Tags: 10 Dangers Of Smoking | Dangers of Smoking Facts